Monday, May 7, 2012

Mage Knights: Summer's Beginning


Winds of Change
“Sage, Coriko, and Kashé nearly got into a bar fight last night.” Myrrdin informed Crowlin. The two of them were in the Instructory’s Great Library, and Crowlin was scouring through ancient tomes in search of new wind spells to practice.

“I hardly find that surprising; they got into a bar fight at the beginning of last summer.” Crowlin replied. “I take it you intervened?”

“It was necessary. Those lugs from Durianor were disrespecting Kashé.” Myrrdin answered. “Do tell, what are you searching for? You’ve been restless.”

Crowlin paused from perusing the tomes. “The day prior, Sage told me he felt restless. That something was off. I thought it was just him, but last night the wind changed. It smells different. Laden with a different scent, with faint undertones of malice. I don’t know what it is, but it’s putting me at unease. I’m beginning to think there’s more to Sage’s restlessness than just a mood shift.”

“Have you considered informing the elders?” Myrrdin asked.

“I have, but why would they listen to me? I’m but a teaching assistant, aged only twenty-one years, barely graduated from the Instructory. I still sleep in the apprentice dorms, for heaven’s sake! Besides, this time of year is always busy for the elders, with the grading of performance tests and the graduation of the newest generation of mage knights. Why would they listen to me?”

“It is better to be forewarned than uninformed.” Myrrdin cautioned. “If the wind has changed, then the elders should know.”

“I’ll think about telling them.” Crowlin answered, going back to searching for wind spells. “Also, is Sage still sleeping? He’s dozed half the day away.”

“Ah, that reminds me. Thank you, Crowlin. I think I’ll go wake him up.” Myrrdin said, turning and slipping back through the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment